What paperwork is needed when selling a house?
What paperwork is needed when selling a house?16 October 2023 Written by James & George Collie

Selling your home can be an exciting but complex process, especially when it comes to the necessary paperwork and legal requirements. Even with the support of a solicitor, having an understanding of the documentation required can help ensure a smooth and successful sale.

In this article, we'll walk you through the key paperwork and legal processes involved in selling a home in Scotland. From proof of identity to property information forms and certificates, we'll cover everything you need to know to navigate the selling process with confidence.

If you're looking to sell your home or would like more advice, then contact our Conveyancing Solicitors in Aberdeen & Stonehaven by telephone on 01224 945594.  Alternatively, please complete our online contact form.

Home Report Requirement

In Scotland, you need to provide a Home Report when selling your home. This report is a legal requirement and contains vital information about your property, including an energy report, a property questionnaire, and a single survey. Failing to provide a Home Report can lead to delays or complications during the sale.

Proof of Identity

When selling your home in Scotland, you'll need to provide proof of identity to estate agents, legal representatives, and mortgage lenders. This requirement is in place to comply with anti-money laundering regulations and ensure the legitimacy of the sale.

Accepted documents for proof of identity typically include a recent utility bill as proof of address and photographic identification such as a passport or driving license. It's advisable to check with your solicitor or conveyancer to confirm the specific documents they require.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a legal requirement when selling a property in Scotland. It assesses the energy efficiency of your home and provides potential buyers with information about its energy usage and potential costs.

EPCs are rated on a scale from A to G, with A being the most energy-efficient. The certificate also includes recommendations for improving energy efficiency. To obtain an EPC, you can contact an accredited domestic energy assessor or arrange it through your estate agent.

Additional Documents for Private Drainage and Water

If your property has private drainage, you must obtain a certificate from the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) confirming its compliance with environmental regulations. This certificate ensures that your drainage system meets the necessary standards and poses no environmental risks.

For homes with private water supplies, it's essential to provide water test results to potential buyers. These results demonstrate the quality and safety of your private water source, ensuring transparency and peace of mind for prospective purchasers.

Timber Treatment Works for Rot/Infestation

If you've recently undertaken timber treatment works to address issues related to rot or infestation, it's crucial to provide the appropriate reports and guarantees to your solicitor. These documents serve as evidence that the necessary remediation work has been carried out and can help alleviate concerns for potential buyers.

Planning Permission and Indemnity Insurance

If you have made significant physical changes to your property, such as extensions or major renovations, it is essential to ensure that you have obtained the necessary planning permission. Failure to do so may result in difficulties for buyers in obtaining a mortgage.

If retrospective planning permission is not possible, purchasing indemnity insurance can help mitigate potential issues. This insurance covers buyers against any costs associated with future enforcement actions related to unauthorised additions or alterations.


Selling a home in Scotland involves various paperwork and legal requirements that must be fulfilled to ensure a smooth and successful transaction. From proof of identity to property information forms, certificates, and title deeds, each document plays a crucial role in facilitating the sale process.

Your solicitor will complete this paperwork for you, or aid you in completing the relevant sections to ensure compliance with all legal requirements and to navigate the selling process effectively. 


For comprehensive advice and support in selling your property, contact our property solicitors in Aberdeen and Stonehaven today. Our team will guide you through the entire process, ensuring a seamless and successful sale. Contact us on 01224 087284 or complete our online enquiry form and we'll be in touch promptly.

get in touch

Please let us know your name.
Please enter a valid phone number
Please let us know your email address.
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Please let us know your message.