Cohabitation Agreements


While many of our clients choose to create a Cohabitation Agreement to formalise their rights and responsibilities while living with their partner, an Agreement can also be used to provide clarity if your relationship breaks down in the future.

At James & George Collie, our family law solicitors can advise you on all aspects of a Cohabitation Agreement, including:

If you require Cohabitation Agreement guidance and legal assistance, get in touch with our team today.

I need a Cohabitation Agreement?

A Cohabitation Agreement is not legally required; however, it is an effective way to provide security and certainty regarding your property, finances and arrangements for your children if you and your partner decide to part ways. Dealing with these matters before a potential problem arises can save you significant emotional and financial strain.

When should I create a Cohabitation Agreement?

An Agreement can be entered into at any time but many couples choose to start the process before or just after moving into together. If your circumstances significantly change, for example, if you have bought a property together or are having children, this would also be a sensible time to consider a cohabitation contract or to update an existing one.

What can I include in a Cohabitation Agreement?

You and your partner can decide what areas you want to cover in your Agreement. It can be as simple or as detailed as you need it to be. You may wish to provide details on the following matters:

  • Child contact and living arrangements.
  • Responsibility for paying rent, mortgage repayments and other bills.
  • How joint bank accounts, pensions and other financial matters will be managed.
  • Division of property and assets (including items acquired before and after you started living together).
  • Rights to stay in your shared home.

If my partner wants a Cohabitation Agreement, do I have to agree?

A Cohabitation Agreement will only be considered valid if it is entered into freely and voluntarily by both parties. In all circumstances, you should get legal advice separate from your partner. If you are not sure whether you wish to enter into a Cohabitation Agreement, your solicitor can provide the information you need to make an informed decision.

Do I need a lawyer to draft a Cohabitation Agreement?

The document must be prepared by a solicitor for it to be legally binding. Our Cohabitation Agreement lawyers will ensure it is drafted and signed correctly, and that the terms in the contract are fair and in the best interests of any children you have, so that it can be relied upon in future if needed.

Contact Our Cohabitation Agreement Solicitors Based in Aberdeen & Stonehaven Today

For information and advice on preparing a Cohabitation Agreement tailored to your personal circumstances, or on any other family law related matter, please contact Duncan Love  or Susan Waters by telephone on 01224 581581 or by completing our online contact form.

get in touch

Please let us know your name.
Please enter a valid phone number
Please let us know your email address.
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Please let us know your message.